J2534 Bandwidth Requirements
- Reliable Internet connection speed and consistency are essential for the wiTECH J2534 application.
- wiTECH J2534 requires 1.5 Mbps download and 1.5 Mbps upload bandwidth per wiTECH J2534 user.
- Each additional J2534 user should have 1.5 Mbps of additional available bandwidth. Of course, higher bandwidth brings increased wiTECH performance.
- If your service location has 10 technicians that utilize wiTECH J2534 simultaneously, wiTECH requires 15 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload bandwidth (1.5 Mbps X 10 technicians = 15 Mbps).
ABOUT CONNECTION SPEED:
- Most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) advertise their Internet connection speeds in Mbps or Mb/s (Megabits per second).
- However, when testing your Internet connection, sometimes the results are displayed as MB/s (note the capital B) which means Megabytes per second.
- There is a big difference between the lowercase b and the uppercase B. If the results are displayed as MB/s then the number has to be multiplied by 8 in order to obtain the speed results in Mbps:
For example, if the speed test resulted in a speed of 1.5MB/s (note the capital B), then we would calculate Megabits as follows:
1.5 x 8 = 12
By this calculation, the Internet connection speed is 12Mbps (12 Megabits per second).
TESTING YOUR CONNECTION SPEED
- Two popular speed test websites are www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and www.speedtest.net.
- Both websites already display the results in Mbps (Megabits per second).
- As resources on the network are used, bandwidth availability can be reduced, so remember the 1.5 Mbps requirement is for wiTECH J2534 and does not include additional bandwidth requirements from the service desk, parts, sales, etc.
Article Number: 1036
Posted: Mon, Jul 24, 2023
Last Updated: Mon, Jul 24, 2023
Posted: Chris Ordner
Online URL: https://kb.fcawitech.com/article/j2534-bandwidth-requirements-1036.html