wiTECH Bandwidth Requirements
- Reliable Internet connection speed and consistency are essential for the wiTECH System to complete flashes.
- It is recommended that the communication speed of your Internet connection be a minimum of 1.5Mb/sec (Megabits per second) for the 1st wiTECH Client.
- Each additional wiTECH Client should have 1.5Mb/sec. of additional available bandwidth. Of course, the better the connection is, the faster the flash files will download before the flashing will commence.
ABOUT CONNECTION SPEED
- Most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) advertise their Internet connection speeds in Mb/s or Mbps (Megabits per second).
- However, when testing your Internet connection, sometimes the results are displayed as MB/s (note the capital B) which means Megabytes per second.
- There is a big difference between the lowercase b and the uppercase B. If the results are displayed as MB/s then the number has to be multiplied by 8 in order to obtain the speed results in Mbps:
For example, if the speed test resulted in a speed of 1.5MB/s (note the capital B), then we would calculate Megabits as follows:
1.5 x 8 = 12
By this calculation, the Internet connection speed is 12Mbps (12 Megabits per second).
TESTING YOUR CONNECTION SPEED
- Two popular speed test websites are www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and www.speedtest.net.
- Both websites already display the results in Mbps (Megabits per second).
- As resources on the network are used, bandwidth availability can be reduced. Therefore we recommend performing a network speed test from multiple machines simultaneously to capture true network speed.
- Speedtest.net automatically chooses the test location for you; all you have to do is click on the Begin Test button in the middle of the site.
- The results will be displayed once the test is completed.
- The Speakeasy.net speed test lets the user chose the target location of the test.
- We recommend that you choose the target server that is closest to your dealership.
- After choosing a location the speed test will automatically begin and results will be displayed once completed.
Article Number: 883
Posted: Wed, Jun 27, 2018 3:00 PM
Last Updated: Wed, Jun 27, 2018 3:00 PM
Posted: Ryan Clauson [Ryan.Clauson@external.fcagroup.com]
Online URL: https://kb.fcawitech.com/article/witech-bandwidth-requirements-883.html