"Boot Strap" Error Occurs When Using DRB III to Flash PCM on 2003-2005 AN, DN, DR, and KJ
- 2003-2004 AN (Dakota), DN (Durango), DR (Ram Pickup)
- 2005 KJ (Liberty) with Next Generation Controller (NGC)
- Verify the DRB III is at the latest release using TechTOOLS.
- Verify the CH7000 red-ended cable is being used and is in good condition.
- Verify that DRB III connections are clean and not damaged.
- Verify the vehicle Data Link Connector (DLC) is not damaged and no has pins pushed out.
- Check vehicle battery condition.
- Repair any damaged wiring before flashing any ECU.
- Verify all accessories are off while flashing controller.
If all the above items have been checked and there is still an issue with flashing the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) perform the following:
ABS/CAB Module Disconnect
- Disconnect the ABS/CAB module on the vehicle and retry the PCM flash from the begin
DRB III cold boot:
- Press the “Yes” and “More” buttons at the same time, then when prompted press the “F4” button to continue.
- After the cold boot has been performed the flash file will have to be downloaded again from TechTOOLS
Reseat DRB III PEP Module
- The PEP module in on the back side of the DRB III and is opposite the DRB III screen.
- To reseat it, pull the DRB III out of the protective cover, turn it over, and slide the PEP module towards the top (connector) side to remove.
- Repeat this several times to reseat the connectors.