Security Gateway Module - Aftermarket Specific
In an effort to improve vehicle security, 18+ model year vehicles will be equipped with a secure gateway (SGW) module. This module is designed to prevent any unauthorized users from communicating on the CAN bus.
If the SGW module fails to unlock, the user will only be able to view DTCs and data displays. The user will not be able to perform any functions such as programming an ECU, clearing DTCs, or running routines. If the SGW module fails to unlock, the user will see a red SGW locked icon at the upper right-hand corner near battery voltage.
Unlocking the SGW (aftermarket/fleet only):
In order to unlock an SGW, users must have an active subscription to DealerConnect or Tech Authority. When first connecting to a vehicle with an SGW, users will be prompted to log into DealerConnect or Tech Authority - users are required to login in order to diagnose an SGW vehicle.
If a user chooses to close out of the login prompt without logging into their Dealerconnect or Tech Authority subscription, their session will become null and they will not be able to diagnose the vehicle. If you accidentally close out of the login prompt, please close your browser and power cycle your microPod.
What to do if the SGW module fails to unlock:
- Select the SGW Locked icon and reattempt to unlock the SGW
- Unplug the microPod, plug the microPod back into the DLC, and attempt to connect to the vehicle again
- Confirm DealerCONNECT is functioning properly
- SGW module requires authorization from DealerCONNECT when wiTECH 2.0 attempts to unlock it
- Consult service information
- This will help you diagnose what is causing the ECU to not unlock
If the steps above do not resolve an SGW that will not unlock, please contact the wiTECH Premium Support Helpdesk