wiTECH Bandwidth Requirements
- Reliable Internet connection speed and consistency are essential for the wiTECH System.
- wiTECH requires 3 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload bandwidth per wiTECH user. (1.5 Mbps for the VCI device + 1.5 Mbps for the viewing device (tablet, phone, PC) = 3 Mbps download and upload bandwidth per user)
- Each additional wiTECH user should have 3 Mbps of additional available bandwidth. Of course, higher bandwidth brings increased wiTECH performance.
- If your service location has 10 technicians that utilize wiTECH simultaneously, wiTECH requires 30 Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload bandwidth (3 Mbps X 10 technicians = 30 Mbps).
ABOUT CONNECTION SPEED
- Most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) advertise their Internet connection speeds in Mbps or Mb/s (Megabits per second).
- However, when testing your Internet connection, sometimes the results are displayed as MB/s (note the capital B) which means Megabytes per second.
- There is a big difference between the lowercase b and the uppercase B. If the results are displayed as MB/s then the number has to be multiplied by 8 in order to obtain the speed results in Mbps:
For example, if the speed test resulted in a speed of 1.5MB/s (note the capital B), then we would calculate Megabits as follows:
1.5 x 8 = 12
By this calculation, the Internet connection speed is 12Mbps (12 Megabits per second).
TESTING YOUR CONNECTION SPEED
- Two popular speed test websites are www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and www.speedtest.net.
- Both websites already display the results in Mbps (Megabits per second).
- As resources on the network are used, bandwidth availability can be reduced, so remember the 3 Mbps requirement is for wiTECH and does not include additional bandwidth requirements from the service desk, parts, sales, etc.